Using Pigs in Your Writing

Posted by Josie | 9:32 PM | 8 comments »

Whenever I read a book, I always enjoy the story more if animals are included. Yes, I love animals, and I'm certain that many people agree with me. An animal adds depth and interest to a novel and can be used in a variety of ways to heighten tension or add comic relief.

Comic relief is the only way to describe Penelopi, the celebrity pig. Gaining international stardom, this pig lives with owners Mindi and Brett Reinbolt in Akron, Ohio.

Check the pig's Facebook page "Penelopi the Pig Reinbolt" and see all the "likes."

The pig enjoys her own sparkly pink bedroom with an electric fireplace in the Reinbolt home, and even has her toenails polished silver. (Really!) She doesn't like off-brand cereals or cheap blankets.

Fortunately for the Reinbolt's, Penelopi's breed usually lives 15-20 years. She weighs 13 pounds.





I write historical romances and will stick with horses and an occasional dog or chicken. And I refuse to polish their toenails!

8 comments

  1. Barbara Monajem // October 5, 2014 at 10:32 PM  

    Wow. Fascinating pig! I agree -- animals can add a great dimension to stories. I once used a dog as the hero's confidant. She listened, agreed, sometimes hunched an offended shoulder, but she never talked back. ;)

  2. Mary Marvella // October 6, 2014 at 1:18 AM  

    Joanne, this post made me laugh! Though this pig is lovely, Miss Piggy might be jealous if I added her to my household.

    I think I'll stick with dogs for pets in my stories.

  3. Josie // October 6, 2014 at 6:14 PM  

    I agree, Barbara, the pig is well...fascinating. Even more fascinating are the owners!

  4. Josie // October 6, 2014 at 6:15 PM  

    MM,
    I'll stick with horses and dogs and the occasional cat for my stories, too.

  5. Mary Ricksen // October 7, 2014 at 1:07 PM  

    My question is can they be house trained???? I think I'm with Josie on this one.

  6. debjulienne // October 9, 2014 at 11:33 AM  

    I have a pig in book one of my cowboy series...and I love how animals can add to a story.

  7. Josie // October 12, 2014 at 9:00 AM  

    Mary R.,
    That's a very good question about the pig being house trained. I would hope so!

  8. Josie // October 12, 2014 at 9:01 AM  

    Deb,
    Including a pig in one of your stories must add an interesting dimension to your story.