Drones

Posted by Josie | 1:48 PM | 3 comments »

What’s up with Drones? Since many writers and avid readers enjoy Amazon’s Kindle on a daily basis and agree that Amazon changed the entire reading industry, few will dispute that Amazon is on the cutting edge of new ideas and technology. Aptly named “Prime Air”, Amazon’s drones will carry and deliver 5 lb. packages to consumers’ homes in less than 30 minutes. Yes, leave it to Amazon to have researched the fact that 85% of their customers buy items weighing less than 5 lbs. However, don’t spend hours waiting by your front door for your package to be delivered. Amazon’s CEO, Jeff Bezos, recently stated that drone technology is 7-10 years away. Oh. What’s a drone? It’s an unmanned aircraft flying 50 miles an hour. Not to be outdone, Google is also researching drones by their recent acquisition of Nest. Their drone project is aptly named Project Wing. Google’s secretive X lab has also produced Glass, computerized eyewear, and is also developing self-driving cars and sensor-enabled contact lenses. Getting back to the subject of Drones, you don’t have to wait 7 years to see one. Although no one I personally know has purchased a drone, those taking afternoon tea with Martha Stewart are familiar with her drone. She uses hers for “hiking, or taking photographs of her expansive properties,” although I’m uncertain whether she’d trust her drone to fly porcelain teacups from her kitchen to her front porch. While Martha’s enjoying afternoon tea, what about you and me? Good news! Drones are available at $299 and can be purchased at Verizon, Barnes and Noble, Best Buy, and, yes, Amazon. Those who are familiar with my frugal shopper blogs may be looking for a bargain but there’s none to be had as of yet. The most popular drone is the Parrot AR. These drones can be sent up to 100 feet in the air and record 15 minutes of video while rotating at a 360 degree angle. Great for realtors offering an aerial view of a property, or architects, or farmers. Or anyone. BTW, mastering all the knobs and buttons on your drone may take a few hours and will require a steady hand. But, hey, it’s another useful innovation and I’m adding a drone to my Christmas wish list. Too bad it doesn’t change a light bulb at the top of my garage quite yet, but what’s another 7-10 years? I’ll just sip my afternoon tea in the meantime and wait.

3 comments

  1. Mary Ricksen // September 7, 2014 at 5:10 PM  

    I don't want a drone that size, I want one that's fly on the wall size. Boy could I find a use for that! LOL Wouldn't you all like a fly on the wall???

  2. Mary Marvella // September 7, 2014 at 5:57 PM  

    I would! And one to deliver packages!

  3. Josie // September 7, 2014 at 10:17 PM  

    I'd love a drone. Count me in!